We’ve talked about this before – there are numerous benefits of personal storage … but the cynical might say “You would say that wouldn’t you?”. Well, that’s true, we would, but in the interests of impartiality let’s remind ourselves of all the reasons why NOT to do it …
- because most stored objects depreciate in value. Well, that may be the case for certain types of item, but this assumes that you put a financial value on your belongings. And as we know, some things we can’t put a value on can we? Old photos, school reports, your collection of vinyls, children’s toys. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, there are some who know the price of everything and the value of nothing …
- all you’ll do is buy more “stuff”! Have you ever put anything in the loft and thought “do I really need to keep this?” … and then found it months or even years later, considered throwing it away, but thought “maybe it will come in handy some day”? We thought so. We’re a nation of hoarders, what’s the problem? (And by the way – maybe it will come in handy some day!)
- personal storage can be costly. Not if you find the right supplier, where you only pay for the space that you need for the items that you store, where you don’t need to enter into long-term contracts, where you don’t have a long notice period, where the T&C’s are flexible, and where the customer service is second to none
- there are security concerns. Not if your supplier has round the clock monitoring, BT Redcare, and secure ring-fenced partitions
- if you can store it for years and never look at it, you can live without it. This harks back to the previous point about buying more stuff. Notwithstanding whether it has any “value” or not, some things are simply too important to throw away – aren’t they?
If you’re not convinced – why not take the opportunity offered by the prospect of putting things into personal storage to have an audit. Realistically, there probably are some things that can go – but there’ll be a whole load of things that can’t. It can be a very enjoyable, not to say eye-opening, experience clearing a loft for example – and we’re sure you’ll have some pleasant surprises along the way!
One really good tip, which we’ve mentioned before, is to put a USE BY date on something tucked away in the corner of the loft – especially if it falls into the “not sure what it is so I’d better not get rid of it” category. Write the date on a sticker, put it on the item, and then the next time you come across it if the date has passed then you KNOW you can get rid of it … as you agreed that yourself!
About Chelsea Storage
Here at Chelsea Storage we’ve been providing flexible and cost-effective self and personal self storage in Kensington, Battersea, Chelsea and the surrounding areas – as well as business storage – for over thirty years now.
We are conveniently located a short walk from the Kings Road in Fulham, and have satisfied clients right across London who can testify to our capability and customer service.
Our flexible approach means that you can access your items from their secure storage units whenever you need them.
If you’re interested in how we can help you, please call us anytime on
0808 168 1310 (Freephone) or 020 7351 6800
Alternatively, click on the following link to go straight to our page on personal storage:
We’ll be absolutely delighted to help you.